How to upgrade the Thanos Package chart📜
When an upgrade is required,
kpt can be ran to pull the updates with a targeted tag.
(from the repository root)
kpt pkg update chart@<new tag> --strategy alpha-git-patch
Once completed, you will need to reconcile the modifications that Big Bang makes.
Modifications Made to the upstream chart📜
- Modified Version to include
- Modified to use registry1 minio package dependency
- Network Policies and other common BigBang charts added
- Add common values for Big Bang packages for domain, networkpolicies, tests, and Istio
- Update image registry/repository/tag as required by update
- Add image pull secret for
- Set resource requests/limits
- Tracks current upstream chart
Testing a new Thanos version📜
Because Thanos aggregates data, it makes sense to integrate Thanos with Prometheus, MiniIO, and Grafana. The cypress tests will verify datasources are enabled for the monitoring.prometheus-sidecar and an s3 objectstore datasource is registered. See the values.yaml and bigbang test-values.yaml for configuration settings.
When using the bigbang install (monitoring/grafana/thanos/and passing in test-values.yaml, you should be able to:
- Go to https://thanos.bigbang.dev
- Select “Stores” and verify you see the
Storestores. These should both be
- Go to https://grafana.bigbang.dev/connections/datasources/edit/prometheus and verify the grafana datasource
Save & test