How to upgrade the Promtail Package chart📜
When an upgrade is required,
kpt can be ran to pull the updates with a targeted tag.
(from the repository root)
kpt pkg update chart@<new tag> --strategy alpha-git-patch
Once completed, you will need to reconcile the modifications that Big Bang makes back into the orchestration.
Modifications Made to the upstream chart📜
bigbang.dev/applicationVersionsannotation with the promtail version
- Modified Version to include
- Network Policies added to establish allowed communication in/out of namespace
- Add common values for Big Bang packages for domain, networkpolicies and Istio
- Update image registry/repository/tag as required by update
- Add image pull secret for
- Set resource requests/limits
- Be wary of changes to
relabel_configs:section, these may cause
field action already seterrors
- Append to containerSecurityContext
runAsUser: 0 privileged: false seLinuxOptions: type: spc_t
- Tracks current upstream chart
Testing a new promtail version📜
Current testing is done manually. Deployment of Big Bang with Istio, Monitoring, Loki and Promtail enabled. Point the promtail git values at the feature branch. Deploy and ensure all resources reconcile and are healthy.
Once healthy - navigate in browser to
grafana.bigbang.dev (or other specified domain) and navigate
Configuration -> Data sources -> Loki and click on
Save & test and ensure
Data source connected and labels found.